Anyone who is born after the 1990’s will take the internet for granted. The 24/7 access to all the knowledge of absolutely every type of information is a blessing. Definitely, the invention of the internet and its rapid evolution in our daily lives has also exposed us to malicious virus, spam emails, pop-up ads and a number of different ways to waste our time. But generally, internet has been regarded as one of the most impactful and positive innovations in the current history. The internet has not only reshaped the society, but also reshaped humanity.
It is sad, but our culture has always struggled to reconcile our previous practices with the current technologies. Businesses and corporations are learning the importance of big data and IT departments. Universities are also keeping up their pace with growing demand for research, IT and computer courses. And with the evolution leading towards connected and busy – but inspiring lives on a restricted budget we have urbanized the most competent tools to maximize both money and time. Online education is the newest trend for distance learning and gaining popularity among people who want to get schooled but on their own terms.
Why Is Online Education More Convenient Than Traditional Learning?
Online education is becoming more popular and is gaining an edge over the traditional education. Following are some of the reasons why:
1. Choice Of Schools, Courses And Programs – The benefit enjoyed by the distance learner of shorthand in the 18th century still get to be enjoyed by the online learners. One of the best benefits of online education is your geographic location doesn’t matter at all. Online learners have the advantage to learn which ever course they like from any university.
2. Flexibility – This is another advantage that students get in distance learning, from email assignment to photograph recording. You can mold your class schedule and make it fit in your life. Complete the assignments when you have free time and availability. This is especially good for those people who lead a busy life and honestly speaking, nowadays everyone lead a busy life.
3. Learning Pace – Online learning allows students to learn everything at their pace, they have the advantage to repeat the same material again for proper understanding rather than speeding up. This is a plus point as you can access the material 24 hours a day and take as much time as you need in reviewing it. If you want to cover it all in a week you can do it easily and if you want to take the time you can cover it in a month, all is fine.
4. Lower Stress – We are not saying that online courses are easy or don’t need any hard work. But provided with the flexibility of time, one doesn’t need to get up 7 am in the morning to take classes after staying up all night long completing the barely edited assignment. With the proper timetable setting you can afford to get time to complete what you need to do and when you want to do it.
5. Participation – Students in an online class are required to interact with one another through some forum. But in traditional classroom not all students get a chance to speak, whereas in online forums every single student stands their own ground and puts in their point or opinion. This is beneficial for those individuals who are not that confident or are quieter in traditional classes.
6. Independence – Since you have to make your own schedule and you can decide yourself when to complete your assignments and submit them. You get a complete independence in your study, plus you won’t be having a negative impact on those students who sadly don’t really care to be there.
7. Monetary Savings – College costs are increasing day by day and the price of online courses is just a fraction of that amount. Students now understanding that high prices, don’t mean quality education and an affordable online course can also offer great benefits. Plus online courses don’t bring on additional costs like hostel accommodation and transportation.
8. Transfer Of Credits – For college students who need to take summer classes but live far away or have summer jobs, taking online courses is the best solution for them. They can take online classes from a credible college and then transfer the credits to their primary college. This is helpful as students will be able to get college credits while they can enjoy their vacation or fulfill their responsibilities.
9. Career Advancement – Additionally taking online courses means you can easily complete entire degrees, do your part-time job or even take care of kids and family. This academic work will also explain any gaps in the resume. Also, additional courses in your resume will show potential employers that you are an ambitious person and want to stay updated with new information and your ready to take new challenges.
10. Avoid Commuting – During severe weather conditions colleges or universities may cancel classes. If they don’t cancel the class, then you run the risk of getting hurt if driving in bad weather. In online courses, students don’t get to miss their classes no matter how severe the weather is. With access to discussion boards, chat sessions, reading material and watching lectures, students can access their online course at any time. Many students also find online learning better as compared to traditional learning because it cuts down fuel costs.
In the nutshell, more and more colleges and universities are offering online courses either with their traditional curriculum or exclusive courses. And the assistance of online learning keeps on increasing in terms of quality and number. So the question is, whether online education is good enough for you? A study was released in 2010 by the US Department of Education concluding that students who gain education through online learning perform better on an average, as compared to the students who learn the same course from traditional classes. So you got all the facts in front of you and it’s your decision to select the best option for yourself.