The art of belly dancing had its beginning in America during the 1950’s in America. It was marketed as a way to entertain your husband. It gained mass popularity, and has continued to be popular with thousands of women.
There are three popular styles which women can now pursue according to their individual interests.
- Cabaret or night club dancing is very popular and in demand for entertainment functions.
- Folkloric dancing is attractive to those who have an historic and cultural interest in Middle Eastern dancing.
- Tribal Fusion is an American inspired dance blending Flamenco, Middle Eastern, and Ballet into its movements.
The costumes also help to indicate the style of dancing which is being performed.
- Cabaret or night club dancing is Turkish and Egyptian costuming. These costumes are very figure flattering and made of glamour or fancy fabrics associated with evening glamour.
- Folkloric consists of being covered from neck to ankle with cottons or wool fabric of colored patterns. The country being represented will dictate its style.
- American tribal fusion costumes usually consist of black fitted pants with a bottom flare and black tops. Colored accessories of original inventiveness may adorn the basic pant and top. Tattoos are popular among this group of dancers.
Belly dancing enthusiasts in America have three choices of interests. This writer recommends taking cabaret and folkloric classes before attempting American tribal fusion. It is well worth understanding the steps, dance movements, and motivation behind each style.
Each belly dancing style has a different posture, attitude, and body movements. Some steps may feel very comfortable and other dance movements may require a great deal of effort and much practicing. Just as one progresses through the grades in school, likewise, it is worth progressing through the different forms of belly dancing until you find your niche.
Regardless of which belly dancing style you choose to study, there is much to learn and each style will hold your interest for many years.
All three belly dancing styles will help with physical fitness for both weight loss and physical toning. The costumes and public performing are other motivations for many women to continue a weight loss program. There are costumes which will help the dancer to maintain her attractiveness as she journeys towards physical fitness and weight loss.
Another feature of taking belly dancing classes is the satisfaction which women gain practicing their creativity, using their imagination, cultural dance education, and pursuing a hidden fantasy.
Summary: Women enjoy belly dancing for these reasons:
- The art of dancing
- Physical Fitness
- Mental discipline
- Psychological satisfaction with creativity, imagination, and fantasy
- Wearing beautiful costumes
- Possibility of being a public performer
- Enjoyment and fun