As you go about your fat loss diet plan, you know taking in fewer calories is a must, but if you reduce your calorie intake too much, that can also cause problems. Not only will you be setting yourself up for nutritional deficiencies because you are not getting as much nutrient-dense food in your day, but you may also be suffering from a sluggish metabolic rate as a result of it.
The good news is if you catch the warning signs early, you can do something about this and get back on track to eating more and seeing better results.
Here are five signs that may indicate you just are not eating enough…
1. Your Energy Is Tanking. While hunger is the first many people think of as a side effect of a low-calorie diet, do not overlook how energy factors in. If your energy seems to have plummeted, this could very likely be a sign you need to increase your calorie intake.
Your body requires a particular amount of fuel for day-to-day living, and if you are eating way under what your body needs, symptoms are going to show.
2. Your Hair Is Falling Out. Another sign. Your hair is getting thinner by the day. Your hair requires particular vitamins and minerals to grow properly, and without those, it may start breaking or worse, falling out.
If you are experiencing hair thinning as you have never had before, it may be time to add a few more calories to your diet.
3. Your Period Is Amiss. For women, the menstrual cycle can be a significant signal of whether they are eating enough food. If your cycle has gone into hiding in the last month or so, perhaps you are not eating enough calories. Not eating enough could lead your body to put the brakes on reproduction and can set you up for long-term health problems so you really must do whatever you can to get your cycle back on track.
4. You Are Irritable And Have Anxiety. If irritability and anxiety are starting to plague you, this too could be a sign you are not eating enough food, especially carbohydrates. Carbohydrates cause the release of serotonin in the brain which helps to…
- reduce stress,
- calm anxiety and
- boost your mood.
When you are hungry and running low on energy, it is very common to find irritability and anxiety setting in.
5. You Are Constipated. Finally, if constipation has started to present itself, take note this could be due to lack of food, or more specifically, lack of dietary fiber. Constipation is frustrating and uncomfortable, but adding a few more carbs and grams of fiber to your diet should help you better manage it.
Keep these points in mind. Are you noticing any of these signs or symptoms? If you are, consider adding a few more calories to your diet to help resolve them. Adding 10% more calories can do the trick.